Pages

Thursday, February 13, 2014

Nautical Afghan February 2014

I just finished this nautical themed afghan to match the nursery my sister is decorating for her soon-to-arrive baby boy! I designed it myself, with a little inspiration from Pinterest, and figured out how do do all the squares. I've tried to provide instructions for the design below, but I'm not sure I've used all the right terms. If something is confusing, leave a comment, and I'll try to explain better.


PICTURE SQUARES:

Honestly, I'm not sure I know how to pick up and drop colors correctly, but the way I did this one was to single crochet around the yarns I wasn't using so that the yarn got carried along inside the stitch. You can see in the pictures below how this led to other colors peeking through. But in the end, I really didn't mind because it gave the pictures sort of a rustic look that I thought worked. You may want to have a cleaner look and may have a better way to pick up and drop the colors, so I'll just provide the charts I designed below and you can do them however you'd like.

Here's the method I used for each square: After chaining 30, I did 30 rows of 30 sc, changing colors as indicated in the patterns below. I had a tendency to make these a little too tight, so you may want to keep your stitches loose if possible so they will line up with the other squares better. After each row, I turned the square and went back the other way. I had no designated front or back; both the front and back should end up looking the same. For the anchor, compass, and life preserver, turning won't affect the way you follow the pattern, but for the sail boat, you need to remember to follow the pattern backwards every time you are working in the opposite direction. As you can see from my picture above, my sailboat squares don't match exactly because I let myself get confused at one point. If you were to work only from one side rather than turning, I expect the lines in the pictures would look cleaner, but I kind of like the look of the rougher edges.

I had a really hard time figuring out how to upload my graph from Excel onto this blog---I guess I'm slightly technologically challenged---so I finally just took a photo of my computer screen so you could see the grid for the picture squares. Sorry it looks so weird. Each grid square represents one single crochet stitch.















































ROPE SQUARE (all white):

Ch 30.

Row 1: Ch 3 (counts as first dc). 29 dc.

Row 2: Ch 3 (counts as first dc), skip next two stitches, 2 dc, (fpdc in two skipped stitches, 2 dc, skip next two stitches, 2 dc) 4 times, fpdc in two skipped stitches, 1 dc.

Row 3: Ch 3 (counts as first dc), (4 bpdc, 2 dc) 4 times, 4 bpdc, 1 dc.*

Rows 4-19: Alternate repeating rows 2 and 3.

*Please note that the instructions for row 3 were modified as of 10/27/14. I'm sorry to all those who read the instructions before that and were confused.


WAVE SQUARE (light blue & navy):

With light blue, ch 30.

Row 1 (light blue): Ch 1 (counts as first slip stitch), sc, hdc, dc, 2 tc, dc, hdc, sc, 2 sl st, sc, hdc, dc, 2 tc, dc, hdc, sc, 2 sl st, sc, hdc, dc, 2 tc, dc, hdc, sc, sl st.

Row 2 (navy): Ch 3 (counts as first dc), 4 dc, (ch 2, 10 dc) twice, ch 2, 5 dc.

Rows 3-12 (alternate between light blue and navy): Ch 3 (counts as first dc), 3 dc, *(dc, ch 2, dc) in ch 2 space, 3 dc, (skip next stitch, dc) twice, dc 3* - repeat from * - (dc, ch 2, dc) in ch 2 space, 4 dc.

Row 13 (light blue): Ch 4 (counts as tc), dc, hdc, sc, 2 sl st, sc, hdc, dc, 2 tc, dc, hdc, sc, 2 sl st, sc, hdc, dc, 2 tc, dc, hdc, sc, 2 sl st, sc, hdc, dc, tc


STRIPE SQUARE (red, white, navy):

With red, ch 30.

Row 1-15 (alternating between red, white, and navy): dc 30 (try to keep these tight---this square has a tendency to come out larger than the others, even though it should be the same).


SQUARES SQUARE (navy, red, white, light blue):

Make one square in each color using the following instructions:

Ch 4. Join with slip stitch.

Round 1: Ch 3 (counts as first dc), 2 dc, (ch 2, 3 dc) 3 times, ch 2 and join with sl st to first ch 3 dc.

Round 2: Ch 3 (counts as first dc), 2 dc, (2 dc in ch 2 space, ch 2, 2 dc in ch 2 space, 3 dc) 3 times, 2 dc in ch 2 space, ch 2, 2 dc in ch 2 space, join with slip stitch to first ch 3 dc.

Round 3: Ch 3 (counts as first dc), 6 dc, (2 dc in ch 2 space, ch 2, 2 dc in ch 2 space, 7 dc) 3 times, 2 dc in ch 2 space, ch 2, 2 dc in ch 2 space, join with slip stitch to first ch 3 dc.

Join squares together using a slip stitch or whip stitch.


JOINING

Join all squares using a single crochet stitch. Each edge of each square should be attached to the edge of another square with 30 sc. After working your way across, you should have 150 sc on each horizontal line and 180 sc on each vertical line.You may have to make adjustments on the vertical edges to make this work out, but I've tried to recall how I did it below.

Horizontal:

The horizontal edge of every square should have 30 stitches (for the squares squares, count each ch 2 space as 2 stitches), so you should be able to easily sc in each stitch, regardless of which type of square you're using.

Vertical:

Vertical is a little harder because each of the squares is different. I will try to advise the best I can.

The picture squares should have 30 rows, so you should be able to put one sc in each row.

The squares squares should be easy too if you put one sc in each stitch and 2 sc in each ch 2 space.

The stripe squares have 15 rows, so you should attach 2 sc to each row.

For the wave squares, put 1 sc in the first row, 3 sc in each of the navy rows, 2 sc in each of the light blue rows (except the first and last), and 1 sc in the last row.

I actually can't remember how I did the rope squares, but I think it there were approximately 18 apparent spaces to put the single crochets and I put 5 sc in every 3 spaces (2 sc, 2 sc, 1 sc). You'll just have to count it up on that one and see what works for you to get to 30 evenly spaced sc.

BORDER

Round 1: Join navy with slip stitch to bottom right corner. Ch 3 (counts as first dc). 179 dc along right vertical edge of afghan. Ch 2. 150 dc along top edge of afghan. Ch 2. 180 dc along left edge of afghan. Ch 2. 150 dc along bottom edge of afghan. Ch 2. Join with sl st to first ch 3 dc.

Round 2: Drop navy and pick up white. Ch 3 (counts as first dc). 179 dc along right vertical edge of afghan. 2 dc in ch 2 space, ch 2, 2 dc in ch 2 space. 150 dc along top edge of afghan. 2 dc in ch 2 space, ch 2, 2 dc in ch 2 space. 180 dc along left edge of afghan. 2 dc in ch 2 space, ch 2, 2 dc in ch 2 space. 150 dc along bottom edge of afghan. 2 dc in ch 2 space, ch 2, 2 dc in ch 2 space. Join with sl st to first ch 3 dc.

Round 3: Drop white and pick up red. Ch 3 (counts as first dc). 183 dc along right vertical edge of afghan. 2 dc in ch 2 space, ch 2, 2 dc in ch 2 space. 154 dc along top edge of afghan. 2 dc in ch 2 space, ch 2, 2 dc in ch 2 space. 184 dc along left edge of afghan. 2 dc in ch 2 space, ch 2, 2 dc in ch 2 space. 154 dc along bottom edge of afghan. 2 dc in ch 2 space, ch 2, 2 dc in ch 2 space. Join with sl st to first ch 3 dc.

Round 4: Drop red and pick up light blue. Ch 3 (counts as first dc). 187 dc along right vertical edge of afghan. 2 dc in ch 2 space, ch 2, 2 dc in ch 2 space. 158 dc along top edge of afghan. 2 dc in ch 2 space, ch 2, 2 dc in ch 2 space. 188 dc along left edge of afghan. 2 dc in ch 2 space, ch 2, 2 dc in ch 2 space. 158 dc along bottom edge of afghan. 2 dc in ch 2 space, ch 2, 2 dc in ch 2 space. Join with sl st to first ch 3 dc. Tie off.






36 comments:

  1. I absolutely love this. I have a grandson that will be born in October, and I'm definitely going to crochet this one for him. You did a great job, Jessame :) Thank you for sharing the pattern with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom is going to make this for my unborn son. I am really excited and can't wait! Can you please tell me how many skeins of yarn in each color that you need? I can't wait for her to start! Thank you for your wonderful pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dug out my leftover yarn to see if I could figure out how much I had used. If memory serves, I think I just bought one jumbo sized Red Heart of each color from Joann fabric. It seems like there it a lot of the red left, so you might be able to get by with just one normal sized skein of that color. I have leftover of the other three colors as well, but it seems to be less than a normal skein's worth, so I would go with the jumbo on those or the equivalent number of smaller skeins. Good luck! It's so fun to see people enjoying my pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not sure if my message worked! trying to make the rope square. Not understanding the terms fpdc and bpdc in rows 2 & 3. Can you give further detail on these rows. Many thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, William! Those terms refer to front-post double crochet and back-post double crochet. Essentially, you're doing a double crochet around the post of the double crochet on the row below rather than in the top of the stitch. If it's an fpdc, you go around the stitch from the front, and if it's a bpdc, you go around the stitch from the back. Check out this tutorial:

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bwsAGH_eBA

      It starts with instructions for fpdc and instructs on bpdc beginning at about the 2:45 mark.

      In reviewing this stitch for you, I realized that there was an error in my instructions for row 3. Please be sure to review the revised instructions above.

      Thanks for looking!

      Delete
  5. I just love this pattern! I made it with only 15 squares (3x5) for a baby. I used your 8 designs and rather than use duplicates, I made 7 of my own. Keeping to the nautical theme, and made squares with a fishnet stitch, a shell stitch, a star stitch, a ship wheel, a telescope with stars, a lighthouse, and a scuba flag.

    I also crocheted right and then left handed. (I only mastered the single crochet stitch so far. lol) This enables the stitches to be worked only on the "right" side rather than turning the work after every row and the graph looks clearer as the stitches don't lean so much.

    One note: there is an error in your Wave pattern. You cannot dc 10 straight and still get the bottom of the wave to slope down. It should be 3 dc, decrease 2 stitches in the next 4 dc, then 3 dc. I believe your picture is correct.

    Thanks so much for posting. I really enjoyed making this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Yours sounds lovely.

      Thanks for pointing out the error. The trouble was that after the first line following the 10 dc method, the pattern needs to change to put dc in the ch 2 spaces and to then skip stitches in the dip of the wave. It should be more accurate now. (This is what I get for trying to recreate my pattern later rather than writing it down to begin with!)

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristy, if you still check this blog, I would love to see a picture of the baby size nautical afghan you made. Do you have a pattern for yours? Let me know if you get this, my email address is laurigist@gmail.com thank you!!!

      Delete
  7. What a beautiful afghan! You did a great job designing it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job, congratulation lovely

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a problem with the white rope square. Row 2 says to skip 2 stitches and then do 2 fpdc in skipped stitches. Do I go backwards? It doesn't make sense to me, and I could use some help! Love the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're not actually working backwards, that is, you're not turning around and working the other way, but you are working in the stitches out of order. I know it's a little confusing. I struggled with that one at first too. You skip two stitches, then you dc in the next two stitches after that. Then you jump back to the stitches you skipped and do fpdc on each of them, starting with the first one you skipped. So on that row, you're always working with the front side facing you, right to left, but doing the stitches out of order. Does that help?

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much for responding so quickly to my question! It does make sense and I will try a swatch tonight. I love trying different patterns and stitches. I have 7 grandchildren and am making nap-size blankets for their children in the future. I have finished 9 or 10 already, and put sew-on tags that say "Grandma's Hugs." It is easy to find flower patterns and this one is great for the boys. Thanks again!!!

      Delete
    3. No problem! I hope it works out for you! I'll bet your grandkids will treasure all of the afghans you've made them.

      Delete
    4. I just don't understand how exactly to do them out of order. I can't get the second row lol. I'm making it for a baby shower gift that's in June so I'm starting to panic.

      Delete
    5. Just kidding I got the second row but I can't figure out past that...

      Delete
    6. You should be doing bpdc around the two fpdc and two dc. This makes the rope-looking part. Then 2 dc to make the straight part, then 4 bpdc again (again, around 2 fpdc and 2 dc). It is kind of an awkward maneuver to do. Did you turn it so you're working back the other way as opposed to cutting off the yarn and starting back at the beginning of the row?

      Delete
    7. Am I supposed to cut it and start back at the beginning or turn it so I'm working right to left after the 29 dc?

      Delete
  10. This pattern is fantastic. Thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi there! So, I planned on giving this a go, but for whatever reason I can not see the directions. I can see the picture of the finished block, but I can not see the written directions. I thought it was just my computer, but I can't see it on my phone either. Were you updating the directions or is there something wrong with the page?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure what the problem is. I can the whole thing when I look up this page on my computer. Can you not see directions for any of the different types of squares?

      Delete
    2. I am able to see the directions for the border and then only the pictures for the squares. It may just only be me. Could you possibly copy and paste the directions into an email? My email is kye.ames@gmail.com

      Delete
  12. I made this one, but just the lower/left 16 squares, for my cousin's baby boy. Everybody loved it! Now I'm making one for my little guy due in July, but I'm changing it to a robot/space theme. I just made up my own graphs for a gear, rocket, star, robot, and battery with a lightning bolt. :-) This is a GREAT design! You should be selling the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Monica! I'm so glad it worked out for you! I'd love to see a picture of your robot afghan when you finish it!

      Delete
    2. Ok! I design a lot of robot crochet stuff, so I'll probably write a blog post about it when I'm done. I'll come back and post the link here when it's done. I plan to give you tons of credit since you are my inspiration for this one.

      Delete
  13. Here you go! http://mcmonicajoy.blogspot.com/2016/04/robots-in-spaaaace-baby-blanket-free.html I hope you like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing! Your blanket is darling!

      Delete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so cute!! Have my first great grandson, am so making this for him. Thank you so much for sharing your pattern, you did such a great job!! Thanks again :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I made this afghan quite a few years ago and had to find your blog again cause I couldn't remember where I got it and I wanted to post a picture here but it's not letting me post it but I wanted to tell you it came out absolutely gorgeous - thank you for a great pattern!!!❤️

    ReplyDelete